After railroad passenger service ended in 1971, the C&O Depot (circa 1908) fell into disrepair. The town of Covington, the Alleghany Historical Society and other public and private entities joined forces to fund the renovation, enlisting the services of Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton Architects. Of primary importance was the restoration of the original clay tile roof and the historic ornamental plaster. The roof rehabilitation involved the removal of the original terra cotta tiles, two-thirds of which were salvaged. Upon completion of the roof’s structural repairs, the original tiles, augmented by replacements, were reinstalled. Today the Depot serves as a community gathering place, a museum gallery and offices of the Alleghany Historical Society.